CAMOGIE: Déise delight as Tipp bogey laid

CAMOGIE:  Déise delight as Tipp bogey laid

Compiled by Daragh Ó Conchúir (Player of the match Clara Griffin of Waterford ©INPHO/James Crombie)

Tipperary’s sustained consistency of appearances in the knockout stages of the Glen Dimplex All-Ireland senior camogie championship, and in particular, their record of appearing in the last four semi-finals, is under considerable threat as a result of the a 1-16 to 0-13 defeat by resurgent Waterford at Semple Stadium. 

The visitors followed up a resounding victory over Wexford last week with another tremendous effort in wet conditions, finally getting the better over opponents who had ended their aspirations at quarter-final level in recent years. 

Although unbeaten to this juncture courtesy of draws against Clare and Dublin, Tipp have stuttered in the campaign to date without All-Star Karen Kennedy due to injury and former captain Orla O’Dwyer, due to her AFL commitments. Róisín Howard’s suspension was a further blow and they never really got going at the county’s GAA headquarters against a Waterford team that has been rebuilding this year but had standout performers in Clara Griffin, Lorraine Bray and Beth Carton. 

Waterford move into second place in Group 1, just ahead of Dublin and behind Cork, after the Rebels came from behind to account for the Metropolitans by 2-10 to 0-9 courtesy of two Katrina Mackey goals yesterday. Meanwhile, Tipp face a tall order to progress now, though it remains in their hands.  

The Premiers did well to go in at the break trailing by just 1-7 to 0-7. Bill Mullaney’s charges had were second best for most of proceedings and trailed by five points at the end of the opening quarter after Carton, Róisín Kirwan, Niamh Rockett and Bray moved the visitors 0-6 to 0-1 ahead. 

Ereena Fryday, Grace O’Brien and Niamh Treacy illustrated the Tipp character but Abby Flynn dispatched a rocket to the roof of the Tipp net after carrying strongly, having been found with an excellent diagonal by Carton. Carton added two points and it was a six-point game. 

Three points from Caoimhe Maher and Eimear McGrath (two) left it nicely poised at the change of ends. 

Waterford settled at the break and resumed with three points in six minutes, including two from Carton. Treacy and McGrath replied for Tipp but the Blue and Golds were dealt a major blow when Mary Ryan, who had denied Carton a goal with a fantastic hook in the first half, was dismissed after receiving a second yellow card. 

The Déise drove for home from there and Derek Lyons would have been delighted with the leadership of skipper Bray, who was among those to keep the scoreboard ticking over, as well as former captain, Niamh Rockett, who helped to keep the scoreboard ticking over. 

Phenomenal workrate was the foundation of it all though and no one illustrated that more than Clara Griffin, who seemed to emerge from countless tussles with possession, in the first half especially, when the tone was being set. 

Afterwards, Griffin pointed to growing confidence now that the Déise have bounced back from an opening round defeat with two successes. That will only be strengthened further, by laying a Tipp bogey that had seen the Premiers regularly put an end to the Waterford aspirations at the quarter-final stages. 

“Every time we play Tipperary it’s always a big battle and over the last four years, we’ve kind of been at the wrong end of those results so we’re delighted to get the win today and push on now for the rest of the championship,” said Griffin. 

“There were lots of rucks and big tackles going in there today. The workrate Tipperary, and we did as well to get the win and it was great to be part of it. 

“We’ve weeks to regroup now and go to Cork but we’re really happy with the two wins but we’ve got to push on from here.” 

On Saturday, two goals from Katrina Mackey and a strong overall showing in the second half with the end helped Cork get over an ever-improving Dublin team by 2-10 to 0-9 at St Peregrine’s.  

The final margin flattered the winners, who conceded nine points on the trot to the home team and trailed by four early in the second half, thanks to scores from Aisling Maher, Aisling O’Neill and Kerrie Finnegan among others. 

The Rebels did find another gear though and kept the Dubs scoreless for the remainder of the game and when Mackey notched up her second green flag, the verdict wasn’t in doubt. 

An injury-time point from Claire O’Connor snatched a 1-9 to 0-11 victory for Wexford over Clare in Sixmilebridge that breathes life in the chances of Kevin Tattan’s crew making it out of Group 1 into the last six.  

Joanne Dillon goaled in the 24th minute but with Lorna McNamara accurate from frees, it looked like the game was heading for a draw until O’Connor pounced on a break to strike a dramatic winner. 

The Waterford team ©INPHO/James Crombie